Applications now open & Dublin Briefing Event Confirmed for Sky Academy Arts Scholarship 2015
€38k fund for an emerging Irish artist aged 18-30
Dublin Briefing Event : The Liquor Rooms, 7 Wellington Quay, Dublin 2
5.30-7.30pm, Tuesday 27 January 2015
The Dublin Briefing session for Sky Academy Arts Scholarships will take place on 27 January in The Liquor Rooms from 5.30pm. This year, there WILL be a winner from Ireland, so it’s definitely one that creatives of promise here should apply for, given how valuable the investment by Sky Academy will be.
The briefing session will guide potential applicants through the application process, giving tips and hints on how best to communicate their creative vision in the materials submitted. The briefing session will be attended by Sky Academy and IdeasTap representatives who will travel from the UK, as well as the Ambassador for the Irish application process, Kris Nelson, Director of Dublin Fringe Festival. Kris will screen Irish applications to help create the shortlist and sit in on interviews in Dublin.
The event is organised by Business to Arts who are supporting the selection of an Irish artist.
The Sky Academy Arts Scholarships, are designed to support emerging artistic talent and will give an artist aged 18-30 living in Ireland the opportunity to receive €38,000 and high level mentoring, allowing them to focus exclusively on their creative practice for a year.
Applications are accepted in the categories of Visual Art, Music, Dance, Theatre, Creative Producing and Creative Writing. DEADLINE: The closing date for receipt of Irish applications is 26 February 2015.
In total, Sky Academy Arts Scholarships 2015 will give five talented artists across the UK and Ireland, aged 18-30, the time and support to develop their creative practice and take their career to the next level. Since 2011, the Scholarships – formerly known as the Sky Arts Futures Fund – have supported fifteen young artists. Each scholar receives £30,000 (€38,000) towards the development of an artistic project and living costs for one year, as well as mentoring from Sky and the Arts industry, giving access to new skills and networks. In addition, each artist receives a short film about their project and practice, and wider developmental support from Sky and IdeasTap. As part of the initiative, one scholarship will be awarded to an artist living in Ireland.
Applicants can submit either a written or filmed application in the categories of visual art, theatre, dance, music, creative writing (excluding film or TV scripts) and creative producing.
Applications will then be assessed by industry professionals as well as individuals from Sky and IdeasTap, with winners announced at the South Bank Awards in June 2015.
Sky Academy Arts Scholarships are open to individuals working in the following fields:
- Performing arts: theatremakers including directors, spoken word artists, puppeteers and live artists
• Dance: dancers and choreographers
• Music: musicians, composers, songwriters and conductors
• Visual arts: including painters, sculptors, photographers, animators and digital artists
• Creative producing: do you bring together disparate parts of culture in exciting and innovative ways? This category is open to creative producers working in visual arts, theatre, film and performance/dance
• Creative writing: including playwrights, novelists, graphic novelists and poets – but not film or TV scripts
- Sky will award four scholarships to UK artists and one Scholarship to an Irish artist. There will be a separate Irish shortlist who will be interviewed in Ireland by an Irish ambassador.
- Artists apply by signing up to IdeasTap – it’s free (www.ideastap.com). Applications close on 26 February.
- This year artists are invited to apply by submitting either a written or filmed application, allowing applicants to choose the format they feel most comfortable with.
- Applications will be assessed by individuals from Sky and IdeasTap, and industry professionals.
- 4 successful UK applicants and 1 successful Irish applicant are announced at the Sky Arts Southbank Awards in June.
To apply, you must be an IdeasTap member aged 18-30 on the closing date (26 Feb 2015) and either be a citizen of the UK or ROI or have been resident in the UK or ROI for the last five years. Either way, you must currently be living in the UK or Ireland and be able to remain living in the UK or ROI for the duration of the scholarship to be eligible to apply.
You must only apply in one category – choose whichever category you think best suits your work – and please select either a written OR filmed application when filling out the application form.